2020-2021 Adjusted Sports Schedule
Varsity athletic competition during the 2020-2021 school year will look different for LCPS high schools as the district brings its sports calendar in line with North Carolina High School Athletic Association recommendations, flipping some fall and winter sports seasons as a precaution during the coronavirus pandemic.
Here are the schedules for various sports as currently configured:
- Volleyball and cross-country – practice begins Nov. 9; seasons to start Nov. 16-Jan. 8; playoffs start Jan. 16
- Basketball – practice starts Dec. 7; season is Jan. 4-Feb. 19 (14 games); playoffs start Feb. 23
- Men’s soccer – practice starts Jan. 11; season is Jan. 25-March 12 (14 matches); playoffs start March 16
- Football – practice starts Feb. 8; season is Feb. 26-April 9 (7 games); playoffs start April 16
- Men’s and women’s golf, men’s tennis, women’s soccer and softball – practice starts March 1; seasons are March 15 -April 30 (14 contests); playoffs start May 3 (golf), May 7 (men's tennis), May 3 (soccer & softball)
- Baseball, women’s tennis, track and field and wrestling – practice begins April 12; seasons are April 26-June 11 (14 contests); playoffs start June 15 (baseball), June 18 (women's tennis), June 18 (track and field), June 19 (wrestling)
Cheerleading begins with the basketball season and continues into football. The state invitational is May 22.
LCPS will follow NCHSAA recommendations regarding spectators at athletic contests. Gatherings are currently limited to 25 people indoors and 100 people outdoors.