About South Lenoir High School
South Lenoir High School was built in 1926 as Deep Run School, a community-based normal school housing grades 1-12. The school colors were red and white and the mascot was the Cardinal. In 1964, the high school students from the four community schools (Deep Run, Moss Hill, Pink Hill, and Southwood) on the south side of Lenoir County were consolidated into South Lenoir High School which occupied the Deep Run School facilities. The school colors became Columbia blue and white and the mascot was the Rebel. A. R. Munn, who had been principal of Deep Run School since the 1929-30 school year, was named principal of South Lenoir.
Change again arrived in 1970 when Woodington High School and South Lenoir were integrated. At that time, Thomas Salter became the principal and the mascot became the Blue Devils. Numerous renovations and additions were made over the years. The original two-story main building added a cafeteria to the north of the building and a classroom connected by a breezeway to the south in the post-war 1940's. Another classroom building and a gym were added in 1958. Science labs and a student center were added to the rear of the main building in 1979. In 1986-88, the original two-story building was razed and the current auditorium/office/classroom complex was built along with additional classrooms across the front of the already existing classroom buildings. Other new construction began in the spring of 2000, adding new science labs, more classrooms, and an enlarged locker room area of the gym.
Another monumental change occurred in 2000 when South Lenoir acquired its third principal in 70 years. On the retirement of Thomas Salter, after a 30 year tenure, Emmet R. "Bobby" Davis was named principal. A long-time member of the South Lenoir family, Mr. Davis continued the legacy and tradition of excellence for which South Lenoir was known. Mr. Davis retired as principal of South Lenoir High School effective June 30, 2005.
In July 2005, Mr. Jay P. Thomas was welcomed to South Lenoir High School as the new principal. Along with maintaining some of the same principles and traditions for which South Lenoir has long been known, Mr. Thomas brought to South Lenoir many new and innovative ideas. Mr. Thomas resigned as principal of South Lenoir in June 2009 and returned to his home in Virginia to continue his career.
In July 2009, Mr. Mike King returned to South Lenoir High School as Principal. Mr. King, a Lenoir County native and former assistant principal at South Lenoir, brought a renewed spirit to the South Lenoir campus. He continued to push our students to do their best and strived for excellence in the staff as well as the students. Mr. King guided South Lenoir to attaining the status of School of Distinction as well as being well-prepared for the 21st century.
In July 2010, Mr. Steve Saint-Amand returned to South Lenoir High School as Principal. Having formerly taught at South Lenoir, Mr. Saint-Amand has returned home to lead South Lenoir to even higher achievements. He brings with him a wealth of experience, having served as an administrator in another county, but most of all he brings a passion for the students and staff at South Lenoir. Mr. Saint-Amand calls South Lenoir "home" and looks forward to leading the Blue Devils to many higher achievements.
SOUTH LENOIR MISSION STATEMENT
South Lenoir High School's mission is to create an environment that encourages all students to become competitive and productive citizens in the diverse, ever-changing, global environment of the 21st century.
South Lenoir Before 1988
South Lenoir After 1988
List Of Principals
- 1926 - 1970: A.R. Munn
- 1970 - 1999: Thomas Salter
- 1999 - 2005: Emmitt R. "Bobby" Davis
- 2005 - 2009: Jay P. Thomas
- 2009 - 2010: Mike King
- 2010 - Present: Steve Saint-Amand