- Woodington Middle School
FFA chapters harvest bumper crop of awards, honors
Members of FFA chapters at North Lenoir and South Lenoir high schools and Woodington Middle School recently added to the bumper crop of awards won by chapters in the school district.
Here are the highlights:
· From North Lenoir, the Forestry team of students Alan Garcia, Ibrahim Nagi, Zack Jenkins and Logan Clark finished first in the Southeast Regional Rally at the University of Mount Olive. Alan Garcia registered the highest individual score.
· South Lenoir student Jensen Barwick will be recognized at the FFA State Convention later this month as first-place winner of the Agriculture Proficiency Award in Specialty Crop Production. Agricultural Proficiency Awards honor FFA members who, through supervised agricultural experiences, have developed specialized skills that they can apply toward their future careers.
· South Lenoir students Haley Lewis and JaQuanna McClain have qualified for national competition after winning awards on the state level. Lewis, won first place in the state in the Senior Poetry division and McClain won third place in the state in the Senior Art division.
· The FFA Chapter at Woodington Middle School will receive the Silver National Chapter Award at the State FFA Convention this month. The award honors FFA chapters that provide educational opportunities that grow leaders, build community and strengthen agriculture. Chapter advisor Jessica Jones has also been selected to serve on the National Award Committee to judge FFA chapter awards.
Earlier this year, North Lenoir’s FFA chapter logged these awards:
· The Land Judging team of Willie West, Luke Creech and Logan Clark won first place in Tobacco Federation and Southeast Region competition and finished 15th in the state.
· The Jr. Land Judging team of Shane Swindell, DylanJohnson and Logan Dixon finished first in Tobacco Federation and Southeast Region competition and fourth in the state.
· The Farm Business Management team of Willie West, Summer West, Logan Clark and Zack Jenkins finished first at the Tobacco Federation area contest, third in the Southeast and 12th in the state.
· The Meats Evaluation team of Zack Jenkins, Summer West and Shyanna Mobley won a bronze medal at the National FFA Competition in October after finishing first in area, regional and state competition.
North Lenoir student Elizabeth Espino was elected as a Southeast Regional officer for 2019-2020. The region encompasses 13 southeastern counties. Ethan Lane, also of North Lenoir, served during this past school year as an officer for the Tobacco FFA Federation that encompasses Wayne, Lenoir and Greene counties.
Members of the prize-winning FFA Forestry team from North Lenoir High School are recognized at the June 3 meeting of the Lenoir County Board of Education. From left are board vice chair Bruce Hill, FFA advisor Ray Spence, team members Alan Garcia, Logan Clark, Zack Jenkins and Ibrahim Nagi, board chair Keith King and Superintendent Brent Williams.